Becoming a teacher is surprising on a daily basis. I am surprised how much I learn and how much I don't learn. I am surprised how articulate, artistic, scientific, and gymnastic my students are. I am also surprised at how some test the limits. Recently, I gave a student some fair warning that wrestling is not allowed in school and if I saw him wrestling again I would walk him down to see our principal about his inappropriate behavior. He looked at me and said, "Why are you so patient and not getting angry?" This surprised me. I responded saying, "I am patient because I want to give you the opportunity to learn now, but I also want you to know that I am serious about sending you to the principal if I see you wrestling again." I spoke with my wife about this experience and she commented that some kids will push the limits until they hit a wall and then they will stop. I never thought that patience with firm expectations and clear warnings could be a wall. I am surprised to discover that my wall for students may just be patience, firm expectations, and clear warnings. I hope to become better at setting firm expectations and clear warnings along with carrying a patient presence in the classroom. I also hope to discover more about everything I miss on a daily basis.
3 comments:
Cody,
I think that you hit on some important discoveries about teaching. The first is that our students are bouncy, bubbly, and brilliant! It is so important to recognize that they are unique and diverse; in understanding this, we learn to teach the whole child!
Second, students ARE going to test the limits. By letting students know that you have firm expectations and, possibly more importantly, that you will follow through with the natural consequences of not abiding to them, you are helping your students to succeed! Patience and warnings are important, but following through with our words is crucial. As a teacher, that makes us truly evaluate what we say and how we say it.
If you're interested in learning more about this, I would reccomend the book "Choice Words" by Peter H. Johnston. It's a quick and worthwhile read. Reading this book has helped me to be more metacognitive and reflective about my communication with students.
Cody,
I notice students testing the limits too! I think it is because we are patient. They don't see us as someone who will get them in trouble! I am so impressed with how you handled that one student. I find that I have to remind myself, follow through, follow through! The reason behind why you are doing what you are doing lets the student know that you are doing this for his benefit! I think this will always be a challenge. Students will test us, but it sounds like you will know how to approach this! It isn't a secret behind what you're doing.. you're doing it for them! :)
Teresa
Cody,
As always, I'm impressed by you. I admire your ability to articulate your true intentions so clearly. I also admire your ability to notice your shortcomings and your motivation to grow upon them.
This is an area where I struggle, and continually seem to bash my head into walls I cannot see.
You see the walls, and work to put doors in them. That's impressive, man.
-Peter
Post a Comment